- I need an equal partner.
- I need someone that wants to spend time with me.
- I need someone who will dream with me.
- I need someone who likes to have fun and do exciting things.
- I need someone who has similar beliefs as me.
- I need someone who is willing to help me with stuff.
Chris fit every one. And I'm amazed at almost 10 years later, I can still say they hold true.
This is us on our wedding day. Lucy said, "You got married in a field?!"
I think we were so happy and naive thinking, "This is going to be a blast forever!" And it has been a blast. And also terrifying.
Here would be my Pre-Qualification List today:
- I need someone who is willing to rush home from work when I find my 17-year-old Pomeranian, Keisha, passed away. And someone who also knows it's a big deal.
- I need someone to stand by my side during an emergency c-section and to see his son, grey and not breathing, after he was born.
- I need someone who will wake up at 6:00 a.m. with me to take our toddler to his third MRI in three years.
- I need someone who will listen to doctors explain that our child will never see the world like his sister.
- I need someone who will fly across the country with me to meet doctors and have hard conversations about Jude's long-term potential.
- I need someone who is willing to help me use to the bathroom while recovering from a 7-hour surgery.
- I need someone who is willing to strip my drain tubes at 2 am.
- I need someone who tells me I'm beautiful every day, even when I feel old and tired.
- I need someone who says, "Yes" more often than "No" to my crazy ideas.
- I need someone who likes to have fun, go on dates, travel and laugh no matter what.
Chris still fits every one. Once we were watching the TV show Dexter. Dexter asks a couple (a couple he is about to murder of course) what makes them happy together. They said, "We like the same things." And I do think at its core, that is true of most happy marriages.
Lucy asked me how old will she be when she gets married. I tell her every time - 30. She also thinks she is going to marry Jude. I told her that if she's 30 and still wants to marry Jude, then we will worry about it.
I hope that Lucy and Jude make their own Pre-Qualification lists and that they don't settle for less. I hope they find their "Chris" and have more good times than bad.
They say behind every good man is a great woman. I'd like to say that behind every great woman is an even greater man. And it's not always Scott Wolf.
Always putting others first